al%20Garden%203.jpg"); background-position: center; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-attachment: fixed; -->

Sunday 27 March 2016

How to make Kato colours from the Kato Colour Chart (part two 2)


As shown in my last post, Black and white are added to different colours in controlled amounts, you'll  find out how much to add by looking at the 
numbers here, each colour box will be different, for making large amounts this next picture is useful, found at http://www.katopolyclay.com/



BUT... I want just enough to make chips as a reference. 
 

The middle number is the amount of colour either pure from the packet,


or( the intermediate colour mixed from two colours, that has always a dashed line around the box,) the intermediate colour here is 1.1 magenta, violet, the pure colours will be above the numbers, it will be different in each intermediate mix so check carefully.

Right let me show you how I made my colours from the chart with as little clay as possible.

First I read carefully the recipe colours needed...
 1parts Red, and 4parts Magenta, to make the intermediate colour for the coluim C, surrounded by dashed lines.

Next I cut two bars of red, magenta, white, and black.



Next, cut each bar in two to help me condition the clay by rolling it   

  



 Putting this through the pasta machine but was too dry and it crumbled so ...

 I rolled all the bits up and rolled them together with rolling rod and my hands until...











 I used the pasta machine at largest settings.

 went back to using the rod...to keep the white clean.
 using playing cards.... 
Only eight cards slipped through my rollers so that's the count I used to each side to guide my rod and keep everything the same thickness.



Did the same for magenta red and black...

 The recipe for the intermediate colour was four (4) magenta so I cut in have that gave me two(2)...  
stacked on top of each other...

 Cut in two(2) again gave me four(4) when stacked on top...



 Trimmed into a neater square with equal layers...the waste will be use in colour making later..  


 The red was placed under the stack and one part cut as per recipe...

neatly trimmed around again so it all equal...




 keep the cut aways separate to us later ...

 Mix well ...

 whatever you like...









 intermediate colour mixed and ready as well as another chip, this colour you will use to add with black and white to make other chips..


 cut out what ever shape you like...

 the label 3C...
 Which I scored into wet clay...


 Now I can get on doing more of the same as I finish the chart, and then I'll bake them at 350 for 30mins to 60mins...

 Now this intermediate colour will make the centre number in the chart on the C coluim...

 I cut off the odd bits and cut in two...

 You guessed it ...I stacked on top making two(2)...

 Then cut in two...making four(4)...

 Stacking on top...

 Cutting in two ...

 stacking made eight(8)

 Cutting by two...made sixteen

 Stacking again (16) sixteen...

 Trimming the edges so all layer are an equal size gave me recipe 16, now the white... 

 Placing the trimmed stack on eight card thick white gave me the last part of recipe 1 white. 

 paid attention it was the same shape as the stack.

 Sixteen to one (16:1)

 Mixed well by hand to small for the pasta machine ...





 eight (8) cards each side ...

 Cut another chip 4C...
 I'll bake them when I've done a full tray...

Hope this helps understand the charts... Have fun, Joan




No comments: